Search this site


[prev]  Page 2 of 2

Metadata

Articles

Projects

Presentations

XML Presenter, or how I hate PowerPoint.

Long-story-short: I wanted a web-based presentation system that was easy and fast. It took me a few hours to get it finished, but it's definatley at a 1.0 stage now. I'm going to add a few more cool features as time progresses, but don't hold your breath.

The project page has enough of a description of the project that I won't bother discussing it here. Clicky!

Link: XML Presenter

xml, xslt, and kioskweb!

I put some more work into my kiosk interface today. I made the keyboard widget highly pluggable, such that you can drop one anywhere on a page. The particular place I wanted to try this first was on the Drink machine login page.

projects/kioskweb/demo/drink.cgi?login

If you do a 'view source' on that page, you'll see that it looks somewhat like html, but there's this little widget tag that you shouldn't recognize. An xslt sheet turns that tag into something more useful - Look in your dom inspector for the actual result. This shows you how I'm somewhat planning on building this web-based kiosk interfacing system.

The end result will be that you can write your pages in psuedo XHTML and drop in fully featured widgets with simple tags like the widget tag. I currently support two forms of input (xml-wise) - those are XHTML with slight modifications and something I came up with that's less html-oriented. An example of this can be seen in this directory: projects/kioskweb/demo/xml

The entire interface is in xml, any html pages you may load are actually static html pages generated from xml. If you want to take a look at my xslt sheet, then click here. Opera 8 does not appear to support doing xslt client-side, so if you are using opera the pages won't render properly if at all.

This project is going to be all over xml/xslt like a donkey on a waffle.

XML? Perhaps...

I've been recently considering moving away from the huge hack that is the code that makes this website go. Currently it is driven by mod_perl and HTML::Mason - hack upon hack, mostly due to how this website was done.
I rewrote this website from php into perl as an excuse to learn HTML::Mason. Now I know mason and as a result the code is poorly written and shoddily glued together. In an effort to move towards newer technologies I think I'm going to try rewriting the site in XML and use XSLT to render. For the HTML it generates I'm leaning towards some sort of css/javascript fanciness to make things pretty and useful.
I also want to trash the script that I use to post things to this site becuase frankly it doesn't handle things the proper way it should, among other excuses to want to rewrite it to be morebettergood and use cooler technologies.
I'll keep posting updates as progress happens and I learn new things.

XML/XSLT

XSLT is pretty neato. You can do basic operations (looping, comparisions, math, etc) with the intention of translating XML into something else, such as HTML.
I got bored tonight and decided to play with it and the results are kinda neato.
Some links to an awesome tutorial on XSLT (and XPath):
XSLT Tutorial
XPath Tutorial

Anyhoo, check it out:
The XML File, but it'll be translated using the XSL Template (This link is broken)
The XSL Template (This link is broken)