Posted Wed, 18 Aug 2010
Here's a new xdotool release. This one includes lots of new features and some bug fixes. All of the tests pass in the test suite (225 tests, 2779 assertions, 173 seconds).
- get_desktop_viewport and set_desktop_viewport. Window managers (like compiz) use viewports instead of the standard 'virtual desktop' model. This means there is usually one big desktop area that you have a small view on, and switching desktops means moving that view.
- selectwindow. This command lets you pick a window by clicking on it. Useful for chaining to other commands.
- windowreparent. Change which window parents another. Useful if you want to move a window to be inside another.
- windowkill. Kills a window.
- getwindowname. Prints the window name (title).
- behave. Allows you to bind additional xdotool commands to run based on certain window events. See the manpage for examples.
2.20100818.* - New commands: 'get_desktop_viewport' and 'set_desktop_viewport'. Some window managers don't actually do 'multiple desktops' but instead show workspaces as views on a large desktop. For example, Compiz Fusion does this, which is why you may see 4 or more desktops, but 'xdotool get_num_desktops' reports only one. - New command: 'selectwindow' command which picks a window by clicking on it. - New command: 'windowreparent' with original patch by Markus Opitz. - New command: 'windowkill' will kill a window and the client that owns it (via XKillClient) - New command: 'getwindowname' for printing the name (title) of a window. Requested by Dominik Reichl for KeePass. - New command: 'behave'. This allows you to run xdotool commands on window events. For example, you can achieve 'mouse-follows-focus' with this: xdotool search --class xterm behave %@ mouse-enter windowfocus This will find all xterms and, upon mouse entering, will focus that window. Not really sure what I wanted with this feature, but it can grow as needed. - Support percentages in 'windowsize'. Percentages are relative to the size of the screen the window is on. 'windowsize 12345 100% 50%' will make the window the full width and half height of the screen. - When typing, if we can't find a character in the existing keymap, try looking up in keysym_charmap (xdo_util.h) and binding a key if we find one that matches. Reported by Victor Baulac on the mailing list. This allows us to type '@', for example, even if the current keymap does not have this key. 2.20100701.*: - No functional changes. - Add missing file 'Doxyfile' to the release package so the xdo docs can be built from a release tarball. (Reported by Daniel Kahn Gillmor) - Skip 'getwindowfocus' misc test if we don't have a windowmanager due to a bug/feature in Xvfb and Xephyr if there is only one client and no wm.