Soekris net4501 upgrade to FreeBSD 7.0
Posted Sat, 05 Jan 2008
Why? First, I was using the wrong power supply, so it would randomly reboot during startup (4 hours, after before I figured that one out, after compiling zillions of kernels, even trying GENERIC from 6.2, 6.3, and 7.0). Then, I couldn't get a stable system image that would boot successfully. It would halt trying to run /sbin/init. Not sure why.
I was initially making my own image with mdconfig, and rsyncing the entire system into a file-backed fs. Then I dd'd this image to my compactflash and put it in the net4501. I gave up on that after several hours, and did this instead:
- Bring up a new vmware instance with 2 disks. 1 800mb disk and 1 5gb disk.
- Install 7.0-RC1, only install kernel and base.
- Mount the 5gb disk (newfs /dev/sd1, mount /dev/sd1 /usr/src) and unpack the kernel sources there. Build kernel (For the soekris box).
- Make any necessary config changes (serial console, etc)
- Shutdown machine
- Use qemu-img to convert the vmware disk into a raw disk image
- dd the new image to compact flash.
- Rejoice. I have a working net4501 now.
Boot into safe-mode, and everything seems find. (Safe mode turns off DMA, iirc)