Monitoring system - request for input
Posted Mon, 15 Feb 2010
I'm working on a new monitoring system because I can't find one that solves enough of my problems. It's going to be free and have an unrestricted open source license.
I could use your help.
At this stage, the best way you can help is to make sure I get lots of data about various infrastructure architectures, monitoring needs, reporting needs, alerting needs.
If you can, please share with me the following:
- A description (or diagram) of your infrastructure including network, servers, services, storage, etc.
- What you are using now for monitoring (can be any number of tools)
- Why you like them
- Why you don't like them
- What you'd rather have, if anything
- What tools are missing that you wish existed?
- Would more documentation on monitoring, in general, help?
- Do you carry a pager? If not, why not? If so, what does it support? (email, sms, html email, mobile web, normal web)
- Would more documentation help?
- Better documentation on how to monitor the things you need to monitor, such as best practices, better tool docs, etc?
- Best practices for monitoring various scenarios?